Because of its central location, thoracic spine pain may also be related to problems in the pelvis, lumbar spine, or cervical spine. A thorough physical therapy evaluation will determine if these other areas are involved and get you the treatment needed.
Treatment of the midback will be individually based and will include:
- A pain relief program and patient education on the back (including its anatomy, risk factors for pain, and ways to manage pain in the short term at home)
- Development of a home treatment program to speed recovery
- A postural assessment and postural education
- Manual therapy (massage and hands-on stretching) to normalize range of motion and muscle tone
- Exercise to improve movement and strength