Did you know…
According to the History Channel, the practice of New Years resolutions was started over 4000 years ago when the Babylonians would pray at the beginning of each year with promises of starting the year off on the right foot in the eyes of their gods. The tradition has been continued over the millennia and is now practiced all over the world with exercise, diet, and weight loss consistently being sited as the most common resolutions. Unfortunately, it is estimated that upwards of 80% of people fail their resolutions by February. In fact most will have given up by January 12th. This year, try incorporating these tips and tricks to give you the best chance at a successful 2020.
- Make small, realistic goals. Aim for little changes instead of over-ambitious goals.
- Try to be specific about goal and time frame. The less vague the better.
- Track progress with a journal or notebook. It is easy to forget how far you have come so having a record of your success can help keep you on track.
- Recruit help. Having the support of family and friends can keep you accountable towards your goal.
- Forgive yourself. Nobody is perfect and we all slip up occasionally. As long as you continue towards the overall goal, it’s OK to have an off day.
- Plan rewards. Give yourself something to look forward to as you reach your milestones.